In 1908, a Russian immigrant named Morris Brown would take his horse-drawn cart 20 miles from the small farming town of Bremen, Indiana to the city of South Bend to trade eggs and other farm produce. While on the road one day, Morris was asked if he would like to trade produce for peppermint oil. While he wasn’t aware of its value, he decided to take a chance and try it. Morris and his sons took the oil into South Bend and soon realized they could earn more trading peppermint than they could on their farm produce, clearing the way for M. Brown & Sons. Dedicated to selling the finest essential oils, the Brown family worked tirelessly to support their families while providing a growing service to their customers.
In 1974, Irvin Brown, Morris’ grandson, expanded the business by selling herbs, spices and decorative botanicals. While M. Brown & Sons eventually merged with The Lebermuth Company, the original work ethic and commitment to customer satisfaction remain.
Today, Lebermuth is still owned and operated by Irvin Brown and his sons and daughter. In the past few decades, Lebermuth has been committed to employing internationally renowned chemists and formulators. The facilities have also grown to house some of the most advanced processing equipment in the industry. All from the heartland, where to be green and get back to nature, you don't have to travel too far.